What is a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT)?
Massage therapy is a regulated health profession in Ontario and as such, massage therapy should be performed by a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT). All RMTs are required to be registered with the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO).
A Registered Massage Therapist is an individual who has:
- Completed competency-based education at educational institutions recognized by the Government of Ontario;
- Studied anatomy, physiology, pathology, physical assessment, neurology, treatments, ethics and other subjects;
- Completed a minimum of 150 clinical hours;
- Successfully completed examinations from and have been “registered” by the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (the College) in accordance with the Regulated Health Professions Act and the Massage Therapy Act;
- Maintained their registration by participating in continuing education and a Quality Assurance Program that assists them in the maintenance of high professional standards and quality care of their clients.
Only members of the College are permitted to use the title, Massage Therapist or Registered Massage Therapist or the designation of RMT or MT. Anyone using those titles or designations without being registered with the College should be reported to the College. All members of the Registered Massage Therapists’ Association of Ontario must be registered with the College and are therefore licensed massage therapy practitioners.
The CMTO is the regulatory body for the profession of massage therapy in Ontario. Therefore, they set the policies and guidelines that must be followed by all RMTs in Ontario. many of these guidelines can be found on CMTO.com and concern issues including client records, receipts, consent, and all other regulations pertaining to RMTs.
The profession of massage therapy is regulated in the Province of Ontario under the Regulated Health Professions Actand the associated legislation, the Massage Therapy Act.
Links to these statutes as they appear on the Government of Ontario’s E-Laws Web site are provided for your convenience below: